Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

16 Jun 2024

Promises!

It's been an interesting week, certainly in the UK. These past days have seen the publication of the manifestos of the various political parties who are putting forward candidates in the forthcoming General Election.

Unsurprisingly, these manifestos are full of promises designed to persuade the unthinking voter to support a particular party at the polling booth. The problem, of course, as many of us who have been around for a fair number of years are aware, is that after the election, most of these promises are quickly forgotten. They are consigned to the dustbin of history. They are seldom actually implemented.

Is it any wonder, then, that so many people have lost all confidence in the political élite? If I make a promise to someone, and fail to keep that promise (and, I admit, this has occasionally happened!), I will not be surprised if, next time I make a promise to that person, they take it with the proverbial 'pinch of salt'!

God's Word, the Bible, is full of promises. Of course, we must note that there are two types of promise - conditional, and unconditional. In the case of the former, there are conditions that are required to be met before the promise is kept; in the latter, the promise is entirely due to the grace of the maker.

The (almost!)all-knowing Dr Google will be able to provide you with many lists of promises that are found in God's Word. However, permit me to share a few of my own favourites!

In Psalm 37, David is used to share three specific promise: "you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security."; "He (the Lord) will give you the desires of your heart."; "He (the Lord) will act." (on  your behalf). (vs.3-5) . However, if we look at those verses in context, we discover that they are all conditional: "Trust in the Lord, and do goodso you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lordtrust in Him, and He will act." (emphases added). Conditional promises!

In Matthew 6, part of what we refer to as "the Sermon on the Mount", the Lord Jesus goes through a long list of things necessary for everyday living (vvs.25ff). He points out that we have no need to be anxious about such matters because the heavenly Father is aware of what we need, and that "all these things shall be yours as well." (v.33). However, again, when we look at the context: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well." (v.33; emphasis added). A conditional promise.   

Isaiah 41 has a wonderful promise, specifically for the Children of Israel but in the principle of which, disciples of Jesus may also take confort: "... fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My victorious right hand." (v.10). Read the previous two verses - no conditions; all is of the LORD.

And we could go on, and on, and on. However, what I wish to emphasise is that Almighty God keeps His promises! Take some time to check out those that have been fulfilled - and be assured that those that have not yet been fulfilled, shall be! Indeed, we are living at a time when more and more of those previously unfulfilled promises are being realised. Praise His Name, He is not a mortal politician!

I leave you with one more promise, made by the Lord Jesus to His disciples: "In My Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also." (John 14:2-3; emphasis added). Do you have that place ready for eternity? If you are truly His disciple (condition!), then you have (promise). If you are unsure, please act while you have time. As always, if I may be of any assistance, feel free to contact me using the e-mail address at the top of the blog.

No comments: