Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

3 Jun 2024

Embracing challenge!

During our recent visit to France, to collect the remainder of our belongings that were stored in a friend’s garage, my wife and I also visited some other friends. One of those friends is an English language teacher and, a few days before we left, he 'phoned with “an idea – a crazy idea”! “Would, you”, he asked, “be willing to come and speak to two of my classes about Scotland?” After some thought, I agreed to do so, and was then requested to wear the kilt for these classes, something to which I also happily agreed.

When we arrived at our friends’ home, we talked about the forthcoming classroom visits, and he suggested that some visuals, in the form of a Power Point presentation, might be useful, as well as a worksheet! So, my first day was spent attending to all of that, and making necessary changes to the lesson plan I had prepared!

My first visit to the school - Collège and Lycée (together, similar to a Scottish Secondary School) – was on the Wednesday of our week with our friends. I confess to having had some trepidation – after all, it has been more than 15 years since I had stood in front of a class of teenagers! However, I need not have feared. In every case, they were a friendly, and interested, group of young people, some of whom asked relevant and pertinent questions as I took them through a potted history of Scotland, before introducing them to a number of famous Scots from the past.

Something else had happened. My friend had mentioned to one of his colleagues that I was coming, and she had asked if I would speak to some of her classes. My friend wanted me to speak to some additional classes of his own, and I was even taken to the attached École (Primary) for one class! Altogether, I spoke with eight classes – and enjoyed every minute! Photographs were requested, and taken; the usual enquiry was made as to what I was wearing under the kilt!; and the very last class with which I met even gave me, at the end of the period, a rousing round of applause! That was a definite first in all of my 25 years of educational experience!

So, is there a spiritual lesson in all of that? I believe that there is – indeed, more than one! Having entered the ninth decade of my life, I keep wondering what the Lord might have in store for me. He has blessed me with continuing good health, and I like to think that my mind is as sharp as ever it was (my latest school experience would certainly suggest that it is!). When my friend made his suggestion, I was a little unsure, but it was only two classes! With the complete experience now behind me, I realise that sometimes the Lord works in such a way. I am drawn into something with which I am comfortable, before He increases the scope of the task – like, in this situation, six additional classes!

I was also reminded that, regardless of the apparent difficulty, it is possible to bring the Lord into situations. You see, two of the famous Scots to whom I made reference were Mary Slessor, and David Livingstone – two disciples of Jesus who served as missionaries in Africa, in Nigeria and Malawi respectively. I was also able to suggest that they do some personal research into these two disciples of Jesus. Who knows what might touch a young heart in so doing? Of course, my good friend also has an opportunity, should he be able to do so, to introduce some appropriate teaching into future lessons.

If you are a disciple of Jesus, take every opportunity He provides to serve Him. Who knows where it may lead?!

 

No comments: