Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

13 Sept 2020

Strengthening others.

For my personal devotions, I am still working through the account of the Gospel provided for us by Dr Luke. I am nearing the end and, on Friday morning, I read these words of the Lord Jesus to Simon Peter: "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren." (Luke 22:31-32).

If you read the rest of the chapter, and the remainder of the Gospel record, you will discover that, in spite of Peter's immediate bravado, he did indeed deny his Master - but, as we read on into the book of the Acts of the Apostles (also written by Dr Luke) we discover that he has become the de facto leader of the apostolic band.

It is a simple fact of life, and experience, that it is those who have gone through an experience who are best fitted to help other who are going through it after them. This is certainly true in the life of disciples of Jesus. We fail the Lord - but, like Peter, we may be reconciled, and be used to help and strengthen others who face similar situations.

My mind wandered to a man named Barnabas. His name means "Son of encouragement" so, whatever else we know about him, we know that was a man who encouraged others. That would appear to have been his primary gift - and what an important gifting it is. I remember a lady in a fellowship in which I was a member. She was a widowed woman who lived alone near to the top of a block of high-rise flats in Motherwell. Her big complaint was, she informed me, that she had no spiritual gifts. Yet there was no-one in the fellowship who was more welcoming than she was. That was certainly one gift that she had, and that she regularly displayed. Perhaps she had been ignored in a previous congregation (sadly, that can happen!), and she wanted to ensure, to the best of her ability, that no-one in this fellowship experienced the same rejection.


When I was in full-time pastoral ministry I had, on a number of occasions, the sad responsibility of conducting the funeral service for a young child, or even an infant. One thing I was never able to say to the parents was that I understood what they were going through - my children were safely in the manse, growing healthily. Some years later, after I had been called out of full-time pastoral ministry, my wife and I were foster-parents for about ten years. One of our foster-children was only about six days old when we received her. She had been born to a young teen who decided, thankfully, that rather than have her unborn child murdered in her womb, she would give birth, and have the child adopted. 

We had that child for a full year. We experienced so many of those special "firsts". She spoke her first word ("da-da" - to me!). She took her first step. She cut her first tooth. Then she disappeared from our lives! Now, in my head, I knew that the couple who had adopted her would give her a good life - indeed, my only concern was that they might spoil her too much! - but, in my heart, she might as well have died. Both my wife and I were heart-broken. How I wished that I had gone through that experience many years earlier!


Are you going through a difficult time, just now? Do you sometimes wonder how you will ever get over your current set of circumstances? Is your complaint that you have no special 'gifting'? Then take heart! If you are truly open to the working of God the Holy Spirit in your life, then a day will come when you will be turned around and, like Peter, be able to help those who are going through the same kind of experience that is currently yours. Of course, it is essential that you are open to the working of God the Holy Spirit in your life!

May you know His power in your life - both for your own good, and that you may strengthen the faith of others; and, of course, that you may bring glory to the Lord. Be blessed, in Him.

No comments: