Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

16 Mar 2020

COVID-19

It's been some time since I published a post on this blog - mainly because I have been away form home and, as well as being very busy, it is not always convenient to sit down and spend time composing a post when on the move, or when living in someone else's home.

We (my wife and I) are due to head south to Dover tomorrow morning. We have booked accommodation there and, we trust, we all be on the ferry to Calais on Wednesday morning. As long as we manage to get across the Channel, and through the Customs at Calais, we should be okay to get home - although we may find that our booked accommodation for an overnight on the journey south, will have cancelled all reservations! Dear Christian friends have already cancelled a visit for Sunday, on account of the COVID-19 virus, and even the two fellowships with which we are personally involved have cancelled, or are considering cancelling, public worship! France is taking the situation very seriously!

I mentioned this virus - almost in passing - in my last post. However, I have learned more about it in the past couple of weeks, and wish to share some further thoughts and advice just now.

I was challenged a few days ago when I pointed out that influenza is the cause of more deaths, annually, than COVID-19. "They are not the same", I was informed. That, I believe, is true. But that was not my point. What I was seeking to emphasise is the results of both conditions! I have checked the most recent figures for the UK with regard to the present situation. As of yesterday, there have been 1,372 cases reported, and of these 35 people have died. Now, just one preventable death is one too many, and I sympathise with those who have been bereaved. However, it would appear that in most - if not all - of those 35 cases, there were already underlying medical issues that contributed to the deaths. 

Checking the latest figures that I could find for influenza, I discovered that - again, just in the UK - over the winter of 2018-2019, there were 3,157 people admitted to ICU/HDU departments (this figure does not, as far as I am able to understand, include the thousands more who were able to be treated at home) with confirmed influenza. Of these, 312 people died! I don't recall panic buying of toilet rolls, etc., every other winter because of the 'flu!

Of course, we must be sensible. Indeed, one of my former pupils posted on Face book that what we are being advised to do is what any sensible person should have been doing in any case! He is quite right! Let me remind you of some sound advice:
  • First of all, washing your hands. The primary way we make ourselves sick is by touching our face. If you pick up COVID-19 by coming in contact with some contaminated surface, you will likely give it to yourself by touching your face. It has been recommended that we wash our hands for 20 seconds. Some have suggested hand sanitisers - but others are more sceptical about this! 
  • Secondly, avoid touching common objects when out in public. For example, use a plastic glove when holding the pump as you top up your fuel tank. I now carry a small supply just in case none is available at the pump.
  • Thirdly, stay away from people who are coughing to reduce exposure to possible viral infection.
  • Fourthly, if you are the person coughing, cough into your elbow and minimise how much travels through the air or gets on your hands.
  • And last but not least, conduct your life as you would any other day because we know that Almighty God is sovereign and can handle a simple disease outbreak like this.
(I am grateful to Dr. Andrew Fabich is a professor of microbiology at Truett McConnell University, Cleveland, GA. for much of the above information, although it is really what has been made publicly available by others.).

That final point, above, is the most important. As with any illness, we are being reminded that each of us is "... a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." (James 4:14). However, for those whose trust is in the living God, there is the confidence that, in the words of the Psalmist-king of Israel, during a time of trouble and difficulty, that  He "... will hide me in His shelter in the day of trouble; He will conceal me under the cover of His tent, He will set me high upon a rock." (Ps 27:5).
0
In this world - a world that has been infected by the virus of sin - we shall always face trouble of one sort or another. In eternity, we shall know true peace. Let the apostle John have the last word from the glorious vision that he was given, and that we know as the revelation of the Lord Jesus: "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband; and I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, «Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be with them; He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away.» And He who sat upon the throne said, «Behold, I make all things new.» "(Rev 21:1-5).

Hallalujah! Come, Lord Jesus! 

No comments: