Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

8 Jan 2023

The King's Highway.

It is late afternoon, and I am typing this post at a campsite, in the area of Lagos, in the Algarve, Portugal. Yes, my wife and I are having a wee break before returning to Gardonne, then to Scotland, and back to Gardonne to prepare to put our house there "on the market", in preparation for a permanent return to Scotland.

Portugal is a beautiful country, and we are sorry that this will be, almost certainly, our final visit. This time we made much more use of the toll roads and were amazed at the number of miles/kilometres of road that are built well above 'ground level'. One particular stretch went on for many miles/kms and, as we drove along, I remarked that: "This really is a "highway"!"

That throwaway comment caused me to think of a song, from my early life, that was entitled "The King's Highway". It is, I believe, an Afro-American song - and the YouTube search would support that belief! The words are:

Refrain:

It’s a highway to heaven.  None can walk up there, but the pure in heart.

It’s a highway to heaven. I am walking up the king’s highway.

1. If you’re not walking, start while I’m talking. Walking up the King’s highway.
There’s joy in knowing with Him I’m going. Walking up the King’s highway.

2. My way gets brighter; my load gets lighter. Walking up the King’s highway.
If you be confessing, there is a blessing. Walking up the King’s highway.

(Christ walks beside me; His love to guide me. Walking up the King’s highway.)

Music and Lyrics by Mary Gardner and Dr. Thomas A. Dorsey

So what is "the King's Highway"? Well, in the U.K. it is the public highway, on which anyone may walk because it is under the control, and in the ownership, of the king! I found myself thinking: "Is my life showing that I am walking up the King’s highway - that of the King of kings? Am I living under His control? Is it clear to others that I belong to Him?" That should certainly be my constant aim! Paul doesn't mince his words when, writing to the believers in Rome, he states that: "Any one who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Him." (Rom 8:9; emphasis added). If God the Holy Spirit is not seen working in my life, evidencing that He inhabits my life, then I do not belong to the Saviour!

I would respectfully suggest, therefore, that walking up the king’s highway means living my life in accordance with His Word, and His will, and doing so by the power of God the Holy Spirit Who dwells within me. 

But, of course, any highway will lead to somewhere! We drove along those Portuguese highways in order to arrive at Lagos. When we return, DV, next week, we will follow highways through Portugal, Spain, and France - in order to arrive at the destination of our current home. So what about "the King's highway"? Well, the ultimate destination for the disciple of Jesus, the Christ, is the eternal home that has been prepared for us. But, just as, on the way back to Gardonne, we will pass through multiple places so, on the journey of life, we pass through many situations and circumstances. This is why seeking the Lord's guidance is so important. Mind you, I know from my own experience, that it is not always easy to receive, and understand, that guidance. When we travel to somewhere that we haven't previously visited, we make use of our SatNav (GPS). Regretfully, I have been known to miss the turning, or the roundabout exit, that I should have taken. Sometimes, it takes quite a detour to get me "back on track"!

All too often, in the past, I have taken a wrong turning; made a wrong decision; taken the wrong road! Yet, in His amazing mercy, and love, and grace, my heavenly Father has brought me back to His pathway - His highway - for my life. 

As we are still at the beginning of this year, it seems not inappropriate to quote those words used by George VI, the father of the late Queen Elizabeth, in his Christmas broadcast of 1939:

"I said to the man who stood at the Gate of the Year, ‘Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown.’ And he replied, ‘Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light, and safer than a known way.’" (Minnie Haskins).

Yes, if we are walking in the King's highway, we are on the safest road for life - and the only road that leads to the destination of eternity* in His sweet presence. May you be walking that highway - for your good, and to His glory.

* This is one of the "Great Words of the Faith" with which I deal in my first book - link above!

Before my recent absence, I was able to add YouTube clips to my blog posts! There appear to be some changes that now deny me that opportunity. However, if you wish to hear a lively performance of "The Highway to Heaven", by the late, irrepressible, Jessy Dixon, and the Gaither Homecoming Friends, then this is the URL - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xi6oQyJ_ik

No comments: