Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

24 Jul 2022

Heaven - Pt.2

Welcome back! In the previous post, I trust that I established that the Bible teaches. clearly, that those who will inhabit the «new heaven and new earth» (Rev.2:1) will have a new body - a resurrection body that will not, necessarily, be like the body we currently inhabit! It will, I would suggest, be at least as different as was the resurrection body of the Lord Jesus from His incarnate body. 

Anyway, I keep returning to those words found in Rev.21:5 « Behold, I make all things new.» There will be a new environment - «new heaven and new earth» (Rev.2:1); there will be a new body; and, I have now come to the conclusion, there will be a new memory. Yes, I realise that that is quite a leap - but I would contend that it is fully Biblical! 

As was pointed out to me, merely quoting a couple of Biblical texts does not necessarily make a line of thought to be Biblical. It must not go against the rest of the Biblical record. So is there anywhere in the Scriptures of the Old or New Testaments that would oppose my thinking? I am unaware of any - but will be happy to hear from anyone who can point me to any such teaching.

What might a "new memory" be like? Well, I freely admit that I am now bordering on the realm of total speculation. However, my new memory would not be a total wipe-out of my current memory. For example, I will not be asking "Who is that Lamb upon the throne?" I am thinking of the well-known words of William Rees: "Who His love will not remember? Who can cease to sing His praise? He can never be forgotten, Throughout heaven’s eternal days." Yes, with my new memory, I shall still praise Him for His atoning sacrifice that gained my salvation.

The thing is that, with our 'mortal' memories, we are actually unable to forget! I used to tell pupils who were facing important examinations that their mind is akin to an office with a lot of rooms. In each room is a large number of filing cabinets, each with four drawers. Each of those drawers has multiple folders holding everything that we have ever seen, heard, or thought. Now, material that is not called upon is gradually pushed to the bottom of the furthest away filing cabinet in the room at the end of the corridor. It is never lost, but we have difficulty in accessing it - until something happens that brings it right to the front! That, I would explain, is the purpose of exam revision!

Father God, I believe, is different. He, being God, is capable of "not remembering"! I can remember sins that I have committed decades ago. I don't dwell on them every day, but sometimes they are brought to the fore, and I can do nothing about that! Speaking of the Children of Israel, through his prophet Jeremiah, YHWH says «... for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.» (31:34; emphasis added).

I believe, therefore, that personal relationships that I enjoyed (and, in some cases, endured!) will not be in my resurrection memory. That will be true for those whom I know who have been saved, and those whom I know who have not been saved. This, I would contend, is perfectly Biblical! It ensures, for example that, for any individual, there shall be no «... mourning nor crying nor pain any more, …» (Rev 21:4), as it will not be recognised that unsaved, former loved ones, are not sharing the bliss of heaven with them.

But those words go on to state that «... the former things have passed away.» So what does that imply? Well, I would suggest that, at the very least, it means that my mortal life will have gone. I shall have a new life, as different from this one as a beautiful flower is from the seed from which it grows. I know that I shall have a new body - an incorruptible body that is incapable of sinning. I know that I shall have a new dwelling-place - «In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?» (John 14:2). I know that I shall have a new understanding - «Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.» (I Cor 13:12). That, by the way, blows my mind! That I shall understand as fully as my heavenly Father understands me!! Wow! And I shall, at last, achieve full sanctification!* John, in his first letter,# assures me that «… it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when He appears we shall be like Him , for we shall see Him as He is.» (1 John 3:2). In heaven, I shall be like Jesus - not the poor, sin-marred, reflection that I present in my mortal flesh, but a perfect reflection of all that He is in His purity and love. Who would claim that, given all of that, Almighty God, my heavenly Father, will not include my memory when He says « Behold, I make all things new.». 

Of course, there is what we might call "a catch"! You see all of this, and more, is only for those who, having repented* of their sin, have placed their trust, wholly, and solely, in the Lord Jesus, the Christ, for their salvation, and their spending eternity in His glorious presence. Not one of us can claim such an inheritance based on our own wealth; social, or ecclesiastical, standing; property; good works; personal genealogy; or anything else that is "us". The only thing that we may bring is the very sin from which we must be saved. Only the atoning* sacrifice of the Lord Jesus is sufficient. But when we do accept His offer of full salvation, then we are accepted by the Father, and are justified* in His sight. Hallelujah!

I recall reading, very many years ago, an allegedly true story of Queen Victoria. Like the present Queen, she loved her Scottish residence of Balmoral, and would frequently go for long walks around the estate. On one occasion, as I recall the story, she stopped off in the home of an elderly woman and, as they conversed, the conversation turned to spiritual matters. The old woman was bold enough to ask the Queen if, when she died, she would go to heaven. "Why yes," replied Victoria. "And may I ask your Majesty on what grounds you are so assured?" "Of course," came the immediate response. "On the blood of the Lord Jesus, shed for me at Calvary." The old woman was delighted, and the two of them knelt together in prayer - Queen and Commoner, united in the true family of God.

May all who read these words have the same faith in Him - it's the only Way!


* This is one of the words with which I deal in "Great Words of the Faith". 

# This Letter is the basis for my book "Defending the Faith".
See links above.

No comments: