Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

6 Mar 2022

What is a Christian - Pt. 2

In the first post in this mini-series, I sought to give a general introduction to the question "What is a Christian?" (or, as I prefer to ask "What is a disciple of Jesus?"). In this (postponed!) post, I want to suggest that a true disciple of Jesus, a Biblical Christian (is there really any other kind?!) is someone who enjoys a Presence, and that that Presence is the Presence of Jesus Himself.  He is, says Paul “at hand” or “very near”. (Phil.4:5).  Now it may well be that the apostle is referring to the coming Rapture – that cataclysmic event that will precede the seven years of tribulation that will, themselves, herald the return of the Lord Jesus, in glory and power.  But also reminds us of very nearness of Lord which every true believer experiences.  One modern translation puts it nicely “the Lord is at your elbow.”

It makes such a difference who we have around.  During my teaching career, I used to see it in school with depressing regularity.  A child would arrive at the beginning of S1 (1st year of Secondary education in Scotland - aged 11 - 12 years), well-mannered; conscientious; enthusiastic about learning.  However, by S3, just two years later, (s)he was a different child altogether.  What was the underlying cause for this difference? It was, quite simply, the company they had started to keep.  My paternal grandmother was a woman of very little formal education, but cart-loads of homespun philosophy, and good old common-sense. One of her many favourite sayings, that I heard multiple times, was “Show me your company, and I’ll tell you your character”. How true! 

We hear a lot, today, about 'environment' - usually referring to the country, district, buildings, etc., in which people grow, and how these can affect a life for either better or worse.  There is, of course, some validity in the claims made. Yet I would suggest that the environment of people is even more important. Many years ago, I was introduced to a lady named May Nicholson. May was reared in Ferguslie Park, Paisley. Her own testimony made quite clear the sort of environment there was in that part of the town in those days! All that I will state here is that it was not the most promising of backgrounds in which a person could be raised - unless Jesus steps in! In May's case, He did, and she became the Founder of the Preshal (the Scots Gaelic word that translates as "Precious") Trust, which helps those who came from difficult situations, and who suffered from social exclusion in the Linthouse area of the city of Glasgow. This problem is manifested in poverty, alcohol and other substance abuse, low literacy and numeracy levels, depression, and low self-esteem.

The Trust, working with other agencies, provides a wide range of social, recreational and educational activities which enable these issues to be dealt with effectively, adopting an holistic approach whereby they seek to cater for the whole person, including meeting individual physical, mental and - as a Christian-rooted organisation - spiritual needs. Before moving to France, I often had the privilege of ministering at the Sunday evening Preshal Fellowship, and met many lovely people - who were now enjoying the Presence of the Lord Jesus. May Nicolson died in September, 2019, but the work continues, and she will not be forgotten by many who came to enjoy the Presence of the Lord Jesus through her.

This is why the disciple of Jesus is so blessed.  Because such a one enjoys this Friendship; this Presence; that is completely different – the Presence of Jesus.  But it is not only a Presence that is different, it is also a Presence that is constant! 

How often have you thought “I only wish that so-an-so were here”?  You find yourself in a situation in which you are out of your depth – but you know that this particular friend or relative would know exactly what to do.  This, of course, is the problem with human beings.  No matter how fine our family, friends, and colleagues are, they can’t always be with us.  There are times when we lose their company, and their influence.  Maybe that’s been your situation.  “If so-and-so had been there, I would never have done that, or said that.”   

And then along comes Jesus. And He makes this amazing, this wonderful, this mind-blowing promise: “I am with you – always! (Matt. 28:20; emphasis added). Not just some of the time; not even most of the time; but all of the time!  And not just at a worship service, or a Bible study, but everywhere!  That’s one good reason why the true follower of Jesus is careful where he/she goes – the places we frequent.  My late mother chided me once when, as a student at the BTI in Glasgow, I went to – the cinema!  “If the Lord returned and you were sitting in a picture-house”, she asked, “How would you feel?”  To be honest, I wouldn’t have felt too bad at all – I was only watching The Sound of Music!  But, of course, I want Jesus to be comfortable to be with me wherever I am!  I want Him to enjoy my presence, even as I enjoy His.

And you?! 

No comments: