Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

6 Feb 2022

Guidance - Pt. 5

As we draw close to the end of this wee series on guidance in the life of the individual, I want to look at the test of guidance - how may we be sure that the guidance we believe we have received is genuine!

Actually, we have touched on this in the last post, as it is often tied in with the means. There is, for example, the test of God's written Word. Not only may we be guided through our reading and study of the Bible, but we may also lay all other guidance and advice alongside the holy Book. Nothing can ever be from God if it goes, plainly, against the clear teaching that is provided therein. To take a simple example - sometimes we learn of someone convicted of murder who blames God because "voices told me to do it"! That may, for a mentally-distubed person, be true - but those "voices" were not from God. How may I be sure? Simply because His Word states, very clearly: "You shall not commit murder"! (Ex. 20:13). Of course, this doesn't just concern direct commands, or prohibitions, but also the very spirit that underlies them.

Another test is that of common sense. As a general rule, we need to think for longer, and do so more carefully, about any course of action that even appears to be against common sense. There is, of course, one important proviso - that it is sanctified common sense, not merely that which the world would recognise. Many of the greatest heroes in God's service have been considered madmen in the eyes of the world. I am coming to the end of reading, again, through the book of the Acts of the Apostles (or the Acts of Apostolic Men, or the Acts of God the Holy Spirit through Apostolic Men). A few days ago, I read of Paul's testimony before Agrippa and Festus. It is Festus who bursts out with: "Paul, you are mad; your great learning is turning you mad." (26:24).  Mind you, I also recall my afternoon Sunday School teacher (those were the days!) making the very valid point that the trouble with common sense is that it isn't very common! 

The third test, I would suggest, is that of circumstances. Because circumstances may restrain action just as much as they may spur us into it. You see, we view situations, and circumstances, from the point of view of time. Almighty God is above, and beyond, time. He sees from the perspective of eternity. Speaking through His prophet, Isaiah, He says: "... I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, ... " (46:9-10). He is the "I Am" (Ex.3:14) - eternally present with all of our time spread out before Him; able to see the end from the beginning. That job for which you applied; that you were certain you would get; but for which you were passed over! He not only sees you in your disappointment, but also sees what is going to happen next week, next month, next year, or whenever. And His way is best! 

I often share our experience when we were moving to France on a more permanent basis, and needed to purchase a house. The problem was that, in order to do so, we had to sell our house in Scotland. We set a price, and the house was advertised - but there were no takers. We reduced the price - no joy. We then changed our estate agent and, eventually, an offer was made. The 'phone-call came on a Friday, and I asked for time to speak with my wife. Then, at the worship service on Sunday, the pastor's wife approached me to inform me that she and her husband were interested in viewing the house for them to purchase for his imminent retirement. I explained that we had just had an offer, but that if they were quick about making a decision, I would prefer to sell to them. The earliest that they could come was the Thursday of the coming week. I agreed and, on Monday morning, 'phoned the estate agent, explained the situation, and asked if they could put the other couple off for a week. Our friends arrived, and I asked for a decision by that evening. They made their decision - the house wasn't really what they wanted.

On Friday morning, I 'phoned the estate agent and instructed them to accept the offer already made. It was a week later before they called me to tell me that they were having difficulty contacting the couple. It was another two weeks before they called to let us know that they had, finally, managed to make contact - but that the couple had already purchased another property! I may not have been totally devastated - but I was close! I had some unworthy thoughts about my pastor and friend (I didn't tell him, of course but now, so many years later, as he is on this mailing list, he will find out!). It was some months before we eventually sold, at a price £10k less than had been offerd by the earlier couple, but ----------- in the intervening period, the exchange rate between the £sterling and the €uro had changed dramatically, and we ended up with considerably more euros to spend in France than we would have had if we had sold to the earlier couple! Once again, we discovered that God's timing is always perfect.

Next week, DV, we will look at the experience of guidance in the lives of some others. 

Until then!

No comments: