Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

4 Jul 2021

Death.

Some weeks ago, I conducted the funeral service for an English friend who had lived in the neighbouring department of Lot & Garonne, and who had died after a battle with cancer. He was a disciple of Jesus, and that simple fact made it so much easier to deal with the situation, as I was able to easily bring the Gospel message into the service - to the great pleasure of his widow! 

However, I do wish that I had received the following before that funeral. I would have quoted it, verbatim, as I now share it in print. 

« Blessed are the dead. 
"And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord henceforth.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labours, for their deeds follow them!" (Rev.14:13).

This promise applies specifically to those recent believers who will suffer martyrdom during the last half of the awful tribulation period (“henceforth,” in context). But dealing as it does with the state of the believing dead, in principle, it surely likewise applies to all who die “in the Lord.”


How are they blessed? In numerous ways, according to this verse.


First, they are blessed in that they “rest from their labours.” In this life we earn our physical sustenance by “the sweat of [our] face” (Genesis 3:19). Here we must work hard to train our minds (Ecclesiastes 12:12). Now we constantly battle our inward, fallen nature: “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:24). Even as we attempt to serve our fellow man, our efforts are spurned and rejected. Not so for the dead! There all these labours will cease, and joyous, eternal service to the Lamb will commence (Revelation 22:3).


Secondly, they are blessed in that their labours continue to bear fruit even after they have gone. Perhaps even a previous word, or act of testimony, will be the eventual tool God uses to bring someone to Himself, and the reward will be properly distributed. No act done to the glory of God will pass unnoticed.

 

Thirdly, what a blessing to know that this state is promised by the very Spirit of God Himself. One’s worth at death is not measured by the content and sincerity of the opinions of friends at his funeral.

This doctrine should produce both great courage for the Christian and great comfort for the bereaved. »

Having prepared the above earlier in the week, I also received, today, notification of the death, in Scotland, of the father of David Robertson – whom I often quote, and who currently lives in Australia, so was unable to visit his dying father, and will be unable to attend the funeral service. I had known my English friend for about 8 years; Mr Robertson, Sen. I never met. However, I would like to think that my children could speak/write of me as David described his dad: “He was a humble, hardworking, faithful man who struggled with assurance, self-doubt and yet never let that get in the way of serving the Lord he loved, looking after his family, and earning the respect of all through hard graft, generosity, and dutiful service.  He was a good dad to me.

Another comment by David reminded me of a man who had a profound influence on my young Christian life – Billy Grant. He died from cancer of the bowel many years ago, while still a relatively young man. I was able to visit him at home shortly before he died. Before leaving, I prayed with him, and his wife Sally (whose funeral service takes place tomorrow – is all of this “coincidence?!). I was thanked by them both for not having prayed that Billy would be necessarily healed, but that he would know the deep peace of Father God whatever happened in the following weeks. David writes, concerning his wife: “Annabel (who is such a strength to me in these times), prayed last Lord’s Day asking that my dad would know peace as he passed through death into the New Life.” I think, too, of a brother in the Lord who was a member of a Baptist Fellowship to which I belonged at the time. He, too, had terminal cancer. One day, while praying for him during my personal devotions, I sensed that I should visit him, and anoint him with oil, in the name of the Lord Jesus. I did so and, although he died shortly afterwards, his widow assured me that his final days were unexpectedly peaceful.

This morning, I was preaching on the topic of being “in Christ”. Those who are need not fear physical death. They will know His peace, and will be welcomed into His presence, to dwell with Him throughout eternity. The world can offer nothing like that!

No comments: