Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

9 Feb 2021

A story that is true - but that is not a true story!

This is a story that I have sometimes used as an illustration of a great truth. As the opening words, alone, make clear, the story is not, in itself, even remotely true! However it is, to me, somewhat amusing - and the truth that it contains is well worth discovering! So, here it is!

A man died, and arrived at the Pearly Gates (I told you that the opening words would show that the story is fictional!). He was met by Peter, who was holding a clip-board. 

"Hello!", he says to the man. "I assume that you are wanting to go through these gates, and enter Heaven."

"That is correct." replies the man. "Is there a problem?"

"No problem!", says Peter. "All that you have to do is get 100 points, and the Gates will open wide for you."

"100 points? No-one ever told me about 100 points! How do I get them?"

"Just tell me why you believe that you should be permitted to enter." responds Peter.

"Oh!", says the man, "that's okay. Now, let's see. Well, I was a very nice person, always helping others. I would have given you my last penny; my last piece of bread; the coat off my back."

"Very good. That gets you 3 points."

"Hmm," says the man. "Well, I was married to the same woman for 52 years; I was faithful to her; I cared for our children; and played with my grandchildren. I worked hard to provide for all of their needs."

"Impressive!" says Peter. "You've just gained another 5 points!"

"Just another 5?!" exclaims the man.

"That's it." replies Peter.

"Okay. I was a church member, and always put something into the offering plate. I attended every Christmas and Easter, and sometimes managed to fit in a few additional visits."

"That's definitely worth another 3 points." says Peter. "Anything else?"

"Well," (the man thinks hard), I was a good employee. I never gave my boss any problems, and worked as hard as I could."

"Well done!" is Peter's response. "That's another point".

"Hang on." says the man. How many points have I got now?"

Peter does some quick addition. "I make that a total of 12 points." he tells the man.

"12 points!" the man exclaims. "At this rate, only the grace of God will get me in."

"100 points!" says Peter. "Welcome."

As I said, this is a totally fictional story - but it does seek to emphasise the Biblical truth that our good works, whatever they may be, will never, ever, gain us entry to heaven. We can never 'make up' for the sinful life that we have lived. Even the best disciple of Jesus is only a sinner - but a sinner, saved by grace. That is why Paul could write to the Ephesian believers: "... by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God - not because of works, lest any man should boast." (Eph 2:8-9).

If you are depending on a 'good' life for salvation, please think again. You have broken every one of the Ten Words (Ten Commandments) - if not literally, then certainly in your heart. Jesus made clear that the thought is as bad as the deed - not in its action, but in its sinfulness. For example: "You have heard that it was said to the men of old, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.' But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother shall be liable to the council, and whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire." (Matt 5:21-22). Now, I can say, with absolute honesty, that I have never killed another human being. But does anyone think that I could claim never to have been angry?! Yet Jesus says that, although my anger is not as bad as committing murder - it is every bit as much a sin that comes between me and Father God! I am a sinner - and I must claim the grace of God.

That is why the Lord Jesus went to the cross. He did so, in order to present Himself, the perfect sinless sacrifice that paid the penalty for your sin, and for mine. What He demands is that we offer Him our lives, in total surrender to His will. Paul, again: "I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." (Rom. 12:1-2).

The choice is yours - make it count!

No comments: