Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

20 Feb 2020

A special day!

For my dear wife, today is a very special anniversary of the day of her physical birth. As is our custom, with our birth dates (day and month, only!) being only one week apart, we went out for a meal on Tuesday, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then today, a dear French friend invited us to her home for another celebratory meal - again, delicious! There have been, of course other good wishes and cards etc, from family and friends both in France and in Scotland. This evening, we were at the mid-week meeting of the fellowship where we currently worship, and where we had been asked to lead the time of praise. They also marked my wife's special day with a fulsome rendering of "Bonne Anniversaire"!

I am so grateful for the wife that God gave me, so many years ago. Before I had even met her I was, of course, familiar with these words in the Book of Proverbs:

"A good wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her,and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm,all the days of her life. She seeks wool and flax,and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant,she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and tasks for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it;with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. She girds her loins with strength and makes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff,and her hands hold the spindle. She opens her hand to the poor,and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household,for all her household are clothed in scarlet. She makes herself coverings;her clothing is fine linen and purple. Her husband is known in the gates,when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them;she delivers girdles to the merchant. Strength and dignity are her clothing,and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom,and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household,and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands,and let her works praise her in the gates." (Prov 31:10-31).

Okay, in a different time, and a different culture, not every word is fully applicable but, when I read those words today, I know that more than 50 years ago, I found "a good wife" - and, if we are both spared until September 4th, she will have been my wife for a full 50 years! She has, undoubtedly, been a much better wife to me than I have been husband to her, but we love each other more today than we did on the day on which we were married.

Is there a secret for a long marriage? I'm not sure. I have known, and know, couples whose marriages have not lasted because one of the individuals died at an early stage of the marriage. This may have been because of a fatal accident, or an equally fatal illness. Sadly, however, I also know many more where the couple have "drifted apart", and ended up in divorce. Many of these have been couples who profess the same faith in the Lord Jesus that my wife and I do. So what goes wrong in such marriages?

I can only suggest that being content with one another's company; sharing both joys and sorrows; and serving the Lord together; are major components. There is also a matter of commitment. Our marriage has not been without difficulties - both family and personal. There have been times when it would have been easier to just walk away. But when we make a commitment to one another, and hold to it, then we can go on, and on, and on!

When I started this post, I wasn't sure what I would say. I'm not at all sure that it is the most helpful post that I have ever published. But if it is the means by which just one marriage is saved, then it will have been worthwhile. Blessings to all.

No comments: