Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

19 Jan 2020

Why "go to church"?

My current daily readings are in Paul's letters to the believers in Thessalonica. These letters are perhaps most used when one is considering the Rapture, and/or the Second Advent (they are not the same thing! See my book "Great Words of the Faith" - details above. ALL royalties go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church.). It is true that the main reason for this correspondence is the problems that were being encountered by the Thessalonians due to some unhelpful teaching on these matters. However, as I reached the end of the first of these letters, I realised how much Paul had to say about another matter that is dear to my heart.

As he draws this letter to a close, the apostle deals with the local church. He writes: "... we beseech you, brethren, to respect those who labour among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,  and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we exhort you, brethren, admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit, do not despise prophesying, but test everything; hold fast what is good, abstain from every form of evil." (I Thess 5:12-22).

There is sufficient material in that section for a short series of sermons! However, permit me to simply throw out a few "blessèd thoughts"! The first of these is that it is really tragic when believers neglect, or ignore, the local church. The New Testament knows nothing of the "solitary believer" (except where fellowship is physically impossible, as for many in the persecuted church, today). The church is meant to be a family - and a family requires a number of people. The church is a building - but one cannot build much with just one, or two, bricks. The church is a group of fellow-workers - not a "congregation of two"! (see I Cor.3:9).

Now, of course, no family of which I have ever had any knowledge - including my own - is perfect! However, without a family to protect and nurture, a child would suffer and die! It is also the case that no Christian Fellowship is perfect. However, there is the well-known saying: "If you ever find the perfect church, don't join it. You'll only spoil it!" You see, the church - any fellowship, congregation, or ministry, is composed of imperfect people! However, the true child of God needs a church family in order to grow, and thrive, and develop the gifts that God the Holy Spirit gives to him, or her. It is in, and through the local church that we may best serve God, and receive spiritual support in our serving.

Now I know that, in this modern world, I can go to YouTube and find many fine messages, and good teaching, from sound and experienced brothers who are true ministers of the Word. But where is the fellowship? Where is the relationship? To whom may I go when I have a difficulty? Is singing a chorus/hymn/song by myself a genuine experience of worship? It may be - on occasion! However, there is something that blesses me when I ma worshipping in concert with others of like mind.

When I was a young man, in the British Merchant Navy, I was also a very young, immature, and inexperienced, disciple of Jesus. Each Sunday, when my ship was at sea, there was what was referred to as "Divine Service"- held in the First Class ballroom (I sailed in a large passenger liner!). This consisted of the Captain reading through the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, and then the congregation - mostly passengers, but with a few crew members - singing the "sailor's hymn": "Eternal father, strong to save". It was, on my part, an attempt to witness to my faith - but spiritually uplifting it was not!

How happy I was when we were in port on a Sunday! I checked the local churches and, if possible, found one of my own denomination. If that was not possible, then I went to a congregation close to the docks. I worshipped with Presbyterians; Free Presbyterians; Baptists; Anglicans; and Independents. I made friendships that lasted for many years - and am still in contact with the then Assistant Minister of the Scots Church in Margaret Street, Sydney, Australia. I learned lessons that I would never have learned as a "solitary Christian". I discovered that, if I was with other true believers, then whether I was in Southampton, or Kowloon; in Sydney or San Francisco; in Vancouver or Melbourne; in Honolulu, or wherever; I was "family". These were my brothers and sisters in the Lord Jesus, and we were "... all one ..." (Gal.3:28) in Him.

I know those, today, who appear to believe that they can survive without the family. I would lovingly suggest that, at best, they can "exist". But one is more vulnerable to the attacks of the evil one if one is not in a family. When a lion is tracking a herd of antelope, it looks for the one that is separated from the herd. That is the vulnerable one - and is more easily taken down. It doesn't have the strength of the family to protect it.

You want to be "church"? Then be part of a family of believers - and may you know the blessing of the Father as you find your own place of service in that family (because the true church of the Lord Jesus, the Christ, is not a spectator sport!).

No comments: