Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

19 Oct 2019

The Word.

As I continue, in my personal devotions, through the Book of Psalms, I arrived this morning at the longest one - Ps.119. When I was in full-time ministry, I sometimes considered preaching on this psalm - but realised that just reading it would take almost as long as the message!!!

Of course, one tends not to deal with this psalm in one go, and I shall take some three weeks to reach the end. However, it is a very interesting psalm, and I want to share some general thoughts in this post.

It's a psalm that "majors on the Word of God", and the ministry of that Word in the lives of those who seek to worship and honour Him. Many people are aware that it is one of the "acrostic" psalms. That means that each of the twenty-two sections begins with the consecutive letters of the, in this case, Hebrew alphabet. However, each of the eight statements in each section also begins with the relevant letter! This was not a psalm that was composed in a hurry!

It is a psalm that contains a number of well-known words, e.g., "How can a young man keep his way might not sin against pure? By guarding it according to Thy Word." (v.9); "I have laid up Thy Word in my heart that I not sin against Thee." (v.11); "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things in Thy Law." (v.18); "Thy Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (v.105);The unfolding of Thy words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple." (v.130).


The name of the writer is not provided, but he is certainly one who had a passionate desire to understand God's Word in as deep a way as possible. The psalm is rooted in the Book of Deuteronomy ("second law" - the retelling of the covenant  between God and his people Israel, presented in three addresses by Moses.). However, in Deuteronomy, as opposed to the account of the giving of the Law in the book of Exodus, the emphasis is on love, and obedience from the heart, rather than mere "ritual" that can be cold and unloving! How many, who claim to be disciples of Jesus, need to seriously ponder that thought!

Some months ago, I was invited to share with a group of anglophones on the importance of the "Old Testament" for disciples of Jesus. The first point that I made was that the use of the word "Old" did not mean that it was "out-of-date", or "past its best". Indeed, I suggested that "First Testament" would be a more accurate name! However, one of my main points was that the First Testament (the Tanakh, in Hebrew) was the only Bible that was available to the early Church! Yet with just the Tanakh, they were those who were turning the world upside-down (Acts 17:6)! 


The Tanakh was used to great effect, in the power of God the Holy Spirit. Yet many, today, tend to ignore the 66% of the Bible that it constitutes! It is constantly referred to in the Second Testament writings. Of course it contains 'law', but it also contains grace. And the law was, and is, necessary. Read Romans 7 if you want to learn more about that! To those who truly have the Spirit of God in their lives, the law is a servant, helping them to see the character of Almighty God, and to increasingly appreciate the saving work of the Lord Jesus.

"... you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to Him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God. While we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit. ... ... Yet, if it had not been for the law, I should not have known sin." (Rom.7:4-7).

The dear man of God who penned Ps.119 was not satisfied with having the Law in his home, his hand, or even in his head. He wanted it to be in his heart. We who have received so much more than he, should surely be satisfied with nothing less!

It is highly likely that I shall return to this great psalm over the coming weeks, as the Lord permits. I hope that you will join with me!

No comments: