Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

30 Jan 2019

Dark and useless.

Bishop John Taylor Smith, Chaplain General to the British Army, died long before I was born - but, for many years, I have felt that I knew him, as my own minister, spiritual mentor, and friend, the late Rev. George B.Duncan, often referred to him, and quoted him. 

The First World War took place during his long tenure as Chaplain General, and the story is recorded that he had been visiting a military hospital during the conflict. As he made his way from one ward to another, he passed a group of convalescents who were seated around a table on which a bowl had been placed - upside down. The Bishop paused, and spoke to the men. "Do you know what is inside that bowl?" he asked. On receiving a response in the negative, he replied, "Darkness and uselessness!"

Then, reaching over, he lifted the bowl and set it down again, the correct way up. "Now," he said, "it is full of light, and ready to hold fruit, soup, or anything else for which it is suited. It is a converted bowl! Which position represents your spiritual lives, gentlemen? Are you inverted, and useless; or have you been changed and made productive because you have turned from darkness to light?"

The condition of the natural man is described, by Paul, as "... darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God ..." (Eph 4:18). However, the transforming grace of Almighty God makes an astounding difference in one's experience. It frees us from the power of darkness and death, and brings us into the light where our lives may become useful to the Lord and to our fellows.

César Malan was a Swiss conservative evangelical minister, and hymn-writer, in Geneva at the beginning of the 19th century. He was suspended from preaching, after having preached a forthright sermon that did not please those in authority over him (I can now relate, personally, to this dear brother's situation!) but later, reinstated - for a time! On a trip to Great Britain, he was visited by Charlotte Elliot - also a hymn-writer. She was experiencing that deep sense of spiritual need to which Paul referred, and said to Malan: "I am a very great sinner. Will Christ Jesus take me, just as I am?" "Yes," was his immediate response. "He will take you, just as you are, and no other way!"

Charlotte returned home, went to her room, and wrote those words that have become so familiar through the evangelistic campaigns led by the late Dr Billy Graham: 

"Just as I am - without one plea, but that Thy blood was shed for me;
And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee - O Lamb of God, I come.

Just as I am - and waiting not to rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, Whose blood can cleanse each spot - O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - though toss'd about with many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without, - O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind; sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find, - O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thou wilt receive, wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe, - O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thy love unknown has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone, - O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - of that free love the breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above, - O Lamb of God, I come!" (Charlotte Elliot, 1789-1871).  

"Just as I am". Have you come to Jesus in that way? Have you repented of your sins, and claimed His help in living your life for Him? Have you opened yourself to the working of God the Holy Spirit in your life? 

He has paid the price. He waits for you to respond to His love and grace and mercy. Will you do so? This might be the last opportunity that you have! I pray that you will - and would be honoured to help in any way. If you wish to do so, please use the e-mail address at the top of the blog, or a pm in Facebook! I shall respond as quickly as I can.

No comments: