Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

10 Nov 2018

Headed for home!

Tomorrow, as most folk will be aware, marks the 100th anniversary of the end of "the war to end all wars" - that, later, became known as the First World War. Towards the end of that war, the 308th regiment of the 77th Division of the United States Armed Forces launched an attack into the Argonne forest in north-west France. They believed that French forces were supporting their left flank, and fellow-American soldiers protecting their right flank. Sadly, these forces were delayed and, in an age in which the instant communication, which we take for granted, was not available, and the 308 found themselves surrounded by enemy forces, and under severe mortar, and machine-gun, fire.

As every 'runner' dispatched by the Commanding Officer either became lost, or ran into enemy patrols and was captured, carrier pigeons became the only method of communication with HQ. In an infamous incident on Oct 4th, 1918, inaccurate co-ordinates were delivered by one of the pigeons and, on top of all of their other difficulties, the 308 began to suffer shelling - from their own artillery (what is now referred to as "friendly fire"!!). In desperation, a sergeant released the last pigeon available with a note that read: "We are along the road paralell (sic) 276.4. Our artillery is dropping a barrage directly on us. For heaven's sake stop it."

As soon as the pigeon - named "Cher Ami" ("dear friend") lifted off, a stray bullet grazed the side of its head, and tore out its left eye. Then, a piece of shrapnel hit its chest, shattering its breastbone. However, the homing instinct was strong, and the pigeon struggled on! Somewhere in the flight, another piece of shrapnel tore off its left leg, leaving the message canister dangling from torn ligaments. The pigeon did, eventually, reach its 'home' loft, and the order to cease the shelling went out immediately. Cher Ami had travelled 25 miles (40 km) in just 25 minutes - and was responsible for the survival of almost 200 soldiers.

This week, my wife and I were informed of the death of a very dear friend - a "chère amie" - of almost forty years. She had been diagnosed, about a year ago, with multiple cancers - and that in spite of the fact that she had never been involved in any drug scene, legal or illegal; led a healthy lifestyle; and had no other significant illnesses. She had worked, with her husband (both of them qualified and experienced nurses) in Papua New Guinea, serving people who suffered from leprosy. They have provided hospitality for many, over the years, including my wife and me. Now, she is no longer with us.

However, she was a disciple of Jesus. During the past year, she has undergone much in the physical realm. Medication and chemotherapy caused different physical problems. Nevertheless, from the time of the diagnosis she had the faith-filled attitude that was able to say: "If I am cured, I will have more time with my husband and family; if I die, I shall see my Saviour sooner." She could have sung, with Jim Reeves, "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

My friend has now reached her true home. I don't know how many people survived various medical conditions because of her tireless work as a nurse. I do know that she is now receiving her reward from the Saviour she longed to see, face-to-face.

As I take part in the Armistice Day Ceremony in the village, tomorrow, I shall think of, and be grateful to, all of those who, in two World Wars, and innumerable other conflicts, suffered and died that we might enjoy the freedom that we do - even if that freedom appears to be being steadily eroded by a political élite who care, primarily, for themselves. I shall also be thinking about my friend and, of course, her now-widowed husband, and the whole family circle.

I shall also be praying for those who, today, do not have the same assurance that my friend had. May all who read this post seek that relationship with the Lord Jesus, that she enjoyed. It will be for your good, and will bring glory to His Name.


No comments: