Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

4 Sept 2018

48 - and counting!

It would be very nice, in some ways, to have the heading refer to my biological age. However, I must confess that it doesn't. 😞
What it does refer to is the number of years of marriage that my wife and I have celebrated, today. 😊

Yes, it was a full forty-eight years ago that I stood at the front of the sanctuary of St George's-Tron Parish Church, facing my minister, the late Rev George B.Duncan, and with one of my brothers standing by my side. Adam Hair, the organist, was playing a gentle medley of familiar Christian tunes when, suddenly, he stopped and, after a moment's pause, the strains of Handel's beautiful 'Largo', from his opera Xerxes, wafted from the organ pipes.

I knew what that signified, and turned to look over my left shoulder to see a vision in white come walking down the aisle, on her father's arm. If Mr Duncan had leaned forward at that moment, and asked me if I was certain that I loved this girl enough to be willing to spend the rest of our lives together, I would have replied that it was impossible for any human being to love any other human being as much as I loved this girl who was about to become my wife. And I would have meant every syllable!

Forty-eight years later I realise that I would not have known what I was talking about! My love for my wife, today, is a million times greater that it was all of those years ago. She has been my wife, my lover, my support, my encourager, the mother of our two beautiful daughters, homemaker, friend - the list could go on. My life would certainly not have been the same without her by my side. She has stuck with me through good times, and not as good times. I thank Father God for her every day, and pray that, as the Rapture is delayed, we will be granted many more years to love, and share, and be with one another; and to serve Him both as individuals, and as a couple.

The Word of God makes much use of the marriage analogy. In the Tanakh (the Old Testament), the nation of Israel is referred to as the wife of YHWH; in the New Testament (the BritHadasha), the church is seen as the bride of the Christ (HaMashiach). The obviously common theme is that of love. "For a brief moment I forsook you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing wrath for a moment I hid My face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you, says YHWH, your Redeemer." (Is.54:7-8). "I feel a divine jealousy for you, for I betrothed you to Christ, to present you as a pure bride to her one husband.(II Cor.11:2) However, the love of God is infinitely greater than even the greatest love that any couple may have for one another - even after 48 years (or 50, or 60, or 70, or more!). Indeed, as John writes in his account of the Gospel: "God loved the world so much that He gave His only-begotten Son - the unique One - that whoever places their trust in Him may not perish but have, here and now, eternal life." (3:16; slightly paraphrased).

It is also the case, certainly for the true disciple of Jesus that, as we live our lives with Him, and are drawn ever closer to Him, we love Him more, and long to love Him more than even that. And we try to please Him in all that we do. That, I would claim, is my desire towards my wife. Of course, as a mere mortal, I don't always achieve that desire - when the jokes have all been finished, I know that I am not, and never have been, the 'perfect' husband. And I am not a perfect man. However, I am so grateful that my dear wife is still with me, and that we have been able to work through the difficult times. And I am so grateful that the Lord forgives me as I come to Him in repentance and faith. It must also be said that He has never, ever, let me down! 

This is where the Third Persona (see my book 'Great Words of the Faith', the chapter on 'The Trinity') of the Trinity, God the Holy Spirit, comes in. It is as He works in me, that I am, little by little, made to be more like Jesus. A little home-made plaque on my study wall reads: "In this life I shall never be sinless; but by the grace of God, I may sin less." That is sanctification - and that is the Work of Holy Spirit, Himself, in my life.

I don't know if you are married, or not. If you are, I don't know for how long you have been married. I do know that even the best marriage is no substitute for the relationship that you may have with your Creator. My marriage to my wife is "until God shall separate us by death". My relationship with Father God, through the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus at Calvary, is not only for time, but also for eternity. Married, or not, have you entered into that relationship? If not - why not?!

1 comment:

Aussie John said...

I won't give you congratulations, but I do praise the Lord for His work in you and your wife,and agree with the tenor of your words here.
My wife and I are married 57 years and I praise God for her and the years He has given us. Most of those years were in the pastoral ministry and mighty tough at times, the toughest in recent weeks when I almost lost her (her heart stopped twice). She's now as strong as ever and 6weeks from her 80th birthday.

To Him be all the glory!!