Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

3 Feb 2008

God can't do that!

I am often asked the question (especially by sceptical pupils!), “Do you believe that God can do anything?” For many years, my immediate answer was, “Yes, of course He can. He is God!”
However, I have come to realise that I was giving a false answer! There are, in fact, many things that God cannot do. So not even Almighty God can draw a square circle, or a five-angled triangle. These would be totally self-contradictory (oxymoronic), and God does not contradict Himself. But there are much more important things that God cannot do. These may be summed up as “anything that is contrary to His essential nature”. Here are three of them:
God cannot
1. Love you any more than He does
Possibly the best-known words in the whole of the Bible are those found at John 3:16 “God loved the world so much that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever places their trust in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.” I wonder how many times I have preached on those words, and sought to “unpack” them in order that their full wonder might be glimpsed!? The central word, of course, is “gave”. It’s not too long since we celebrated Christmas. And many of us will have purchased gifts – gifts of different values. And the most expensive gifts will, undoubtedly, have gone to those who are most dear and precious to us. God loved, and loves, you and me so much that, in the Persona of the Son, He gave Himself. What more could he possibly give? How could He love you any more?
But also, God cannot
2. Give you any more than He’s already given
So what has He given? Well, we could start with physical life! It’s been many decades now since the birth of the first so-called “test-tube” baby. But no scientist has ever created life! The best that they can do is to artificially bring together the “component parts” – in this case the female egg and the male sperm – outwith the womb. But where is the life? I’m no biologist, but my understanding is that, however we look at it, it’s a miracle. We may be able to describe the mechanics, but we can’t fully understand what causes that spark of life. It is God-created.
But the real gifts are for those who have come to Him, in repentance and faith, and acknowledged the Lord Jesus as Saviour and Lord. He gives us that very salvation. It is the gift of God. I can’t earn it; I can’t buy it; I can’t deserve it. “God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a free gift from God.” (Eph.2:8)
He gives us His Spirit. That’s the promise of the Lord Jesus: “... I will send you the Paraclete – the Spirit of Truth. He will come to you from the Father, and will testify all about me.” (Jn.15:26). Paul writes to the Roman believers that “... we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.”
He gives us peace. Remember those lovely words of the Lord Jesus? “I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.” (Jn.14:27). And the peace of which God’s Word speaks is not just an absence of conflict. It’s a very positive thing. It’s the Hebrew concept of “shalom” – a total well-being.
He gives us joy. That was the message of the angel to the shepherds who were being told of the birth of Messiah – the Saviour. “Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy...!” And not only at the beginning of that unique life, but also at the end. In His final great discourse to the inner band of the disciples, Jesus gives this assurance: “I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow.” (Jn.15:11)
He gives us His love. And that takes us back to Jn.3:16. And, in his first letter, the same John makes the point that “This is real love – not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be a sacrifice to take away our sins.” (4:10). And this is the unconditional love that is expressed by the Greek word agape.
Final thing that God can’t do is to
3. Make choices for you
Many a time, I wish that God would just make me into a robot. Life would be so much easier for me if I had been programmed to do only those things that please Him, and never to do those things that offend Him.
But that’s not how He works. And I can actually understand that. My wife loves me – would have to, to have put up with me this long! – and I truly appreciate her love. But if I knew that the only reason that she loved me was that she was incapable of doing anything else, then that love would be totally devalued. It’s the fact that she has chosen to love me that makes her love so very special.
God is no different. Of course He could have programmed mankind to love Him, and serve Him, perfectly. But that would have given Him no pleasure; no joy. And so He created us with freewill. It means that I must make the choices of life for myself – but that’s what makes them worthwhile.
But what if I make the wrong choices? Well, that will sadden Father God – but He will allow me to do so. Indeed, sometimes that’s the only way by which He can teach me some important truths. And, of course, His eternal purposes are still worked out. Because He knows my every decision before I make it.
So, next time you are asked if God can do anything, please don’t come out with a glib response. Do remember that not even Almighty God can love you more than He already does; give you more than He’s already given; make choices for you – including the choice to be His faithful follower.
But remember, too, that you may choose Him today, by confessing your sinfulness; repenting of your sins; and committing your life to Him in love and obedience.

No comments: