Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

12 Jun 2013

Losing heart - or keeping faith?

It was at the time when a number of scandals concerning 'celebrities', past and present, were headline news; when the position of Chief Constable of the soon-to-be single Scottish Police Force had not gone to the candidate preferred by many in the Strathclyde Force; when my own Chaplaincy role was coming under threat; that I shared some thoughts both at a meeting of the Christian Police Association and on this blog, regarding dealing with disappointment.

I suppose that the following could be said to speak to those of us who have been disappointed with the manner in which, at both Westminster and Holyrood, the Bills that aim to redefine marriage are progressing.  These thoughts are based on the contents of an e-mail that I received a few days ago - but that I have only just got around to opening!

David, in the 27th Psalm, reflects on his own situation, and encourages others who find themselves in similar straits. "I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.  Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!
" (vs.13-14).   

He provides three steps:

1. Believe in God’s Present Goodness
"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living."  We worship the 'Now' God, Whose covenant name is "I AM".  He knows our situations and circumstances, and He deals with them.

2. Patiently Submit to God’s Calendar
"Wait on the LORD; ... ... wait, I say, on the LORD!"  How often we expect God to work in accordance with our timetable!  We forget that, while we see only a fleeting moment at a time, He sees the whole picture.  He is the One Who knows the end from the beginning; Who dwells outwith the time-space continuum in which we live out our mortal lives.  It isn't wise to try to "second-guess" Him - He really does know best!

3. Courageously Stand Against Fear
"... be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart;"   Sometimes, we feel that the "other side" has everything going for them.  They have the cash resources; the media contacts; the apparent power.   So did Goliath!  If we are in a battle (and I am obviously thinking of the current redefinition of marriage situation!) then just because we are "David" is not a problem.  Indeed, it's our strength!  Like him, we come "... in the Name of YHWH Sabaoth (the LORD of Hosts)" (I Sam.17:45).  We have more! "... He who is in [us] is greater than he who is in the world." (I John 4:4).

As I have repeatedly stated regarding the campaign to preserve marriage as God ordained it at the beginning of the humanrace, it's not over yet; there is all to play for - and certainly all to pray for!  Be sure that, if you live in the UK, you are doing all that you can to support the Coalition for Marriage, and Scotland for Marriage.  If not you, who?  If not now, when?  If not where you live, where?

Esther 4:14!

No comments: