Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

13 Jul 2011

Alteration unnecessary!

It was while I was a student that the Bible Training Institute, in Glasgow - way back in the late '60s! - that a fellow student decided that the sports-type jacket that I wore with my kilt wasn't good enough.  Although a proud Englishman, he gave me £20.00 (if my memory serves me well!) - no mean amount for a student in 1967-68 - to rectify the situation.  I was, and am, extremely grateful, and I duly purchased a proper jacket to wear when attired in my kilt.

It was only recently that I was able to renew contact with Tony, and I was delighted to be able to inform him that, more than forty years later, I still had the jacket for which he had so graciously paid.  I was also able to inform him - with what I hope is not a negative sort of pride(!) - that it fitted me as well today as it did all of those years ago.  To put it another way, no alteration is necessary!

So why would I want to share that on this blog.  Some might accuse me of doing nothing more than boast that I have managed to maintain a reasonably trim figure into my older age!  Not true.  Rather, I use the story as a reminder that there is something much more substantial than any kilt jacket that does not, never has, and never will, need any alteration.  I refer, of course, to the written Word of God, the Bible.

Writing to his young "son in the faith", Timothy, the apostle Paul states that "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (II Tim 3:16-17; RSV).  Now it must be pointed out that Paul was here referring to the Jewish Scriptures - what Christians refer to as the Old Testament (the New Testament not yet having been compiled and recognised) - although the principle applies, just as surely, to the writings of the New Covenant! However, the temptation arises, in every generation, to challenge the acceptance of God's written Word.  Whether it's the doctrine of hell, or God's declared view on sexual behaviour, or our attitude to our finances, or whatever, there can be a pressure on many to reject the more "inconvenient" parts of the Bible.

In the book of the Jewish prophet Jeremiah - part of the Scriptures to which Paul was referring - and in the 36th chapter, is a record that carries with it a salutary warning.  The prophet has been given a word from YHWH - a word that is intended to turn the rebellious people back to the worship,and service, of the one true God.  However, when that message - written down by Baruch the scribe - is read to king Jehoiakim, he casually cuts off each section of the scroll as it is read, and throws it on to an open fire! This wilful disobedience was dealt with in the fulfilment of the continuing prophecy as recorded in Jer.36:30-31.

Dennis Fisher has written that "When we selectively edit the Bible to suit our fancy, or neglect its teachings, we show that we do not fear God.  Rather than submit to what He says, we exalt our own finite reason and fallible conscience above the inspired text." (Our Daily Bread, Military Edition; 28th June. (c) 2009 RCB Ministries)

As Jehoiakim discovered, it's a dangerous course of action to take!  (see also Heb.10:31-36)

No comments: