Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

18 May 2011

Wisdom, or knowledge?

In one track by my favourite Gaither Vocal Band (that's the one with David Phelps, Guy Penrod, and Mark Lowry!) Mark Lowry sings the words: "Deep inside me, there's a yearning for true wisdom, not just learning."  Those words came to mind, on Monday, when I read the report about Prof Stephen Hawking's opinion of heaven (and, one may presume, hell!)

According to The Telegraph newspaper, the "... eminent Cambridge scientist and cosmologist has dismissed heaven as a 'fairy story for people afraid of the dark'"  He also "... rejected the idea of life beyond death and emphasised what he described as the need to fulfil our potential on Earth by making good use of our lives."

The article continues to inform us that Prof Hawking regards "... the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail." and that "... tiny 'quantum fluctuations' in the very early universe became the seeds from which galaxies, stars and, ultimately, human life began."  However, in common with all of the humanistic atheists who have become so prominent in our contemporary 'western' culture, the professor fails to go back to the "First Cause".  Something, or Someone, designed the very quantum mechanics to which Prof Hawking appeals.  The bottom line, I would suggest, is that there is either an eternal, uncreated, piece of matter from which all that is has evolved; or an eternal, uncreated, Being - to Whom, in the English language, we give the nomenclature 'God' - Who created all that is by His own power.  I know which of those two possibilities I find more reasonable, and reassuring!

There is, of course, the story that is based on the well-known "Pascal's Wager".  A certain Atheist lecturer was travelling around ridiculing those who were foolish enough to believe in the existence of a supernatural Being, and in the Bible as the Word of God.  On one occasion, as he addressed a group, he hurled a challenge at God.  "If You exist, then strike me dead!"  As he stood there, very much alive, he turned to his audience and exclaimed: "See, there is no God."

A woman rose to her feet, and spoke to the lecturer.  "Sir," she said, "I cannot answer your arguments; your learning is beyond me.  You are an educated man while I am merely a working woman.  With your superior knowledge, will you please answer me one question?"  On receiving the lecturer's assent, she continued, "I have been a believer in Christ for many years.  I have rejoiced in the salvation He has provided for me, and I have enjoyed my Bible.  His presence has been a tremendous joy.  If when I die, there is nothing - no Father God, no Lord Jesus, no salvation, the Bible just a collection of old legends - tell me, sir, what have I lost by believing in Christ during this life?"

The room was very quiet; the audience quickly grasping the logic of the woman's question.  The lecturer answered, in quiet tones: "Madam, you won't stand to lose a thing."  "You have been very kind, and have answered my question." responded the woman.  "Permit me to ask you one more.  If, when the time comes for you to die, you discover that the Bible is true; that there is a God, and that Jesus is the Son; that there is a heaven and a hell - tell me, sir, what have you to lose?"

The Atheist was silent.  He had no answer.

Prof Hawking may have a tremendous IQ; he is certainly a lot more clever, and a lot more knowledgeable than I.  However, I do question his wisdom - or lack thereof.  Pascal's Wager is not an evangelistic tool - but it does spell out the consequences of the basic choice that each of us makes, whether deliberately, or by default.  I trust that you will make the right choice, and discover the joy of eternal life, here and now.  You don't have to be clever to be wise!

No comments: