Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

19 Sept 2010

Solitude v. Loneliness

An intermittent connection has meant that I have been unable to post for a couple of days.  However, the connection is steady at the moment, and so I am 'making the most of the time'. (see Eph.5:16; RSV).

It is, of course, Sunday and, normally, I would be at a worship sevice somewhere - either as a part of the gathered congregation in LCC, or leading the service elsewhere.  It was earlier this morning that I received a message from a dear Christian friend who is a GLO missionary here in France - unforunately, in physical terms, almost as far away from me as it is possible to be while still in this country!  She mentioned that she had been thinking about me, and had realised that she had never asked me what I have been doing on a Sunday.  She probably realised that there is no evangelical witness here in L'Isle - nor, as far as I can find out, in the immediately surrounding area.  I am, to all intents and purposes, in 'Christian solitude'!   

But I am not alone!  As I thought about my friend's loving concern, I recalled an incident from my days in the British Merchant Navy.  Although still a very young, and immature, disciple of Jesus, I wanted to provide some sort of witness.  Part of that was my attendance at the weekly 'Divine Service' on board the ship - open to both passengers and crew-members.  However, when we were in port on a Sunday, that activity didn't take place, and I took the opportunity to attend a local service of worship.  On some occasions, I was able to pick and choose from a number of possibilities but, on others, the constraints of time meant that I had to go to the closest place of worship to where the ship was berthed.  

One of the latter occasions was in Melbourne, Australia, and the church in question was of the Episcopal persuasion.  The building, as I recall, was a magnificent red sandstone edifice in Gothic style, with high, arching ceiling, and beautiful stained glass windows.  It was much larger than the building in which I worshipped at home, and could probably have seated some seven to eight hundred worshippers.  My attendance was certainly noticed - all by myself, that Sunday morning, I managed to increase the size of the total numbers present by 50%!  Yes, apart from me, there was the vicar, and the vicar's wife!

In those far-off days, I knew nothing about Episcopal liturgy, and Collects (set, daily, prayers) - although I have since made use of some of them in leading congregations in worship.  We came to the communion, and it was then that I had a moment of revelation, as that dear man uttered words with which he and his wife were presumably so familiar, but that came as a ray of light and understanding to their young visitor.  "Therefore, with Angels and Archangels, and with all the company of heaven, we laud and magnify Thy glorious Name; evermore praising Thee, and saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts, heaven and earth are full of Thy glory: Glory be to Thee, O Lord most High"

I realised, at that moment, that even although there were only three human bodies in that vast sanctuary, we were not alone.  Because we were surrounded by, and one with, an unseen host who, in a dimension that we were (and are) incapable of comprehending, were worshipping the same Triune God - and doing so with a purity of heart and purpose to which we could do no more than aspire!

So, as I sit here in L'Isle-sur-le-Doubs this Sunday morning, I am in solitude - but I am not alone.  As I read God's Word, and as I pray; as I listen to "the songs of Zion", and join in with those whose voices have been recorded; I am joined by angels and archangels, and all the company of heaven, in praising and magnifying His glorious Name.  And, of course, I have the constancy of His own presence Who has promised: "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." (Heb.13:5).

Solitude - it's not so bad, if one is not alone!


1 comment:

CannuckCol said...

It can be good to be alone for a shorter time albeit that you have been, but remember He has been there 'alone' as well and He knows the feeling of 'lonliness'
Matthew 14:23
And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
As much as you are missing your family and friends back home they too are missing you, but think of the rejoicing there will be once you reach Scottish soil again. Thinking about you bro. Love ya.