Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

14 Jun 2009

Personal responsibilty.

This morning, at the Communion Service, a very good friend – whose Christian faith, and academic standing, are both unquestionable – was quoted as having said that, until his/her work is done, the Christian is invincible. Apparently, this was said in the context of riding a motor-bike, and my friend is alleged to have claimed that he didn’t worry about how dangerously he rode, because of this claimed invincibility.

I am fully aware that one should be careful with second-hand reports, but the person who quoted my friend is, himself, a good friend whose faith and intelligence are also of the highest order. I have no doubt, therefore, that the statement was originally made ‘tongue-in-cheek’, and that the quotation of it was made in a similar vein. However, I am concerned that some of those who heard it will have taken the statement quite literally, and may get into all sorts of trouble for having done so. We must be careful what we say, especially when we are teaching the Word, or leading a fellowship of believers in worship. (cf. James 3:1)

Of course, it does raise the whole subject of personal responsibility in the context of the grace of God! I was taught – to continue with the road-using analogy – that when I exceeded the speed limit, my guardian angel got out of the car!! That, I would suggest, is a much safer attitude to take. Just because I am a follower of Jesus does not mean that I am guaranteed safety in circumstances in which I have acted unwisely – if not downright dangerously. Was not that one of the ways by which the devil tried to deflect the Lord Jesus from His mission – “Then the Devil took him to Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, "If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, `He orders His angels to protect You. And they will hold You with their hands to keep You from striking Your foot on a stone.'" Jesus responded, "The Scriptures also say, `Do not test the Lord your God.'" ”? (Matt.4:5-7). Is it not akin to the mistake made by the Jewish leadership against whom the prophet Jeremiah spoke: “Do not trust in these deceptive words: 'This is the temple of YHWH, the temple of YHWH, the temple of YHWH.'”? (Jer.7:4).

The grace and mercy of Almighty God are beyond my human understanding. But they are not, I would maintain, to be presumed upon! Indeed, “…let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” (I Cor.10:12). Of course, I believe that the Lord has a specific plan and purpose for my life. But I also believe that He will accomplish His own great purposes either with me, or without me! My “putting on Christ” (Rom.13:14), is not the attachment of some ‘magic charm’. It is the adopting of a lifestyle that is rooted in Him, and in the written Word of God. It does not allow me to abandon my personal responsibility. Rather, it requires me to live responsibly for Him, that I may be the means of drawing others to Him. Anything else is foolhardiness, and would not, I suspect, receive that “Well done, good and faithful servant; … enter into the joy of your Master.” (Matt.25:21).

1 comment:

CannuckCol said...

I too have a friend who often rides a motorbike and, years ago stated something similar, adding Paul's words "For me to live is Christ, to die is gain"
A few older Christian friends soon reminded him that if God had a work for him to do and he couldn't because he had inadvertently killed himself, then he would be disobeying God's plan for him.