Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

21 Jun 2009

Fathers’ Day

It’s Fathers’ Day! I often think that these ‘special’ days are driven more by commercial interests than by a genuine desire to mark the special contribution that the particular relative makes/has made in one’s life! But, perhaps, I’m just being cynical. However, my cynicism is based on knowing too many who make a fuss about Father’s Day, or Mothers’ Day – and ignore the parent(s) for most of the rest of the year; or perhaps treat the parent(s) in a disrespectful manner.

That’s why I want to make a public declaration of gratitude to four people who have helped me to be the father I’ve been privileged to be for over thirty years.

First of those is, of course, my wife. I certainly wouldn’t have become a father without her assistance!! But it’s more than that. She has been a great mother and, so often, an example to me that has helped me to be a better father than I might otherwise have been.

The second two are my (our!) daughters. It’s difficult to be a father if one has no children! Dear old Abram (Abraham) knew that – God had promised that He would make Abram a great nation, but Abram was childless (see Gen.12:1 ff.). I have been blessed with two great children. Don’t get me wrong. We have been known to “rub each other up the wrong way”. But we love one another – and we are not afraid/embarrassed to vocally express that love. They are both very special to me – as is their mum.

The fourth is my own late father. He was – unlike his eldest son! – a man of few words. But when he did say something, it was worth listening to. And, of course, his actions spoke volumes, and gave me the example of a faithful husband, and a father who often sacrificed his own comfort and pleasure for the sake of his sons.

The Bible has a lot to say about fatherhood. God is described as a Father to the fatherless (Ps.68:5); and as being, like a father, tender and compassionate to those who revere Him (Ps.103:13). The Book of Proverbs (wise sayings) advises children to listen to what their father tells them (1:8, 4:1), and follow his instruction (4:4, 6.20). Paul writes words of advice to fathers in his letters to both the Ephesians, and the Colossians (Eph.6:4 – but, children, check out vs.1-3!; Col.3:21 – and note v.20!).

However, the greatest word that the Bible has to say on the subject of fatherhood is the wonderful picture that Jesus gives us of Almighty God. He is not only the Creator and Sustainer of all that is; He is not only the holy and sinless One; He is not only the righteous Judge; He is, above all, the One Who may be approached, through the all-sufficient sacrifice of the only-begotten Son, as “Abba, Father” – a relationship of love with One Who cares, provides, guides and, when necessary, chastises.

Fatherhood. It’s a great privilege; but it’s also a great responsibility. I thank God for the father to whom He entrusted me; and for all that He has enabled me to be as a father to my own children. On this Fathers’ Day, may all of us who are fathers seek the help of Father God to be the kind of fathers that He wants us to be.

No comments: