Important Information.

STOP PRESS: The third book in my series - "Defending the Faith" - is now available, as a paperback, at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1791394388
Please note that ALL royalties, on all three books, now go directly to Release International in support of the persecuted church. E-book now also available at
https://tinyurl.com/y2ffqlur

My second book - Foundations of the Faith - is available as a Kindle e-book at https://tinyurl.com/y243fhgf
Paperback available at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151731206X

The first volume - Great Words of the Faith - is available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009EG6TJW
Paperback available at:
https://tinyurl.com/y42ptl3k

If you haven't got a Kindle, there is a FREE app at
https://tinyurl.com/35y5yed

ALL royalties now go to support the persecuted church.

I may be contacted, personally, at author@minister.com




For those who are bi-lingual, I now have a second blog, in the French language, that publishes twice-monthly. Go to: https://crazyrevfr.blogspot.com/

27 May 2009

Who is God??

I was surprised, this evening, to see on a television news programme, a young lady supporter at a football (soccer!) match, waving above her head a large placard that proclaimed to one and all that “Coyle is God”!!! The gentleman to whom such divine reference was being made is currently, as far as I can make out, the manager of Burnley Football Club – and has apparently been very successful in his job. This, I gather, has made him one of the front runners to take over from Gordon Strachan who resigned as manager of Glasgow Celtic Football Club after their failure to capture the Scottish Premier League Cup on Sunday.

Now those who know me personally will find it difficult to believe that I wrote all of that myself. My interest in that particular sport is similar to my interest in testing a guillotine – at the sharp end!! But that placard …!!!

My mind went back many years to the early days of the use of computers in schools. I was at an in-service event with a number of other teachers of Religious Education – including a fellow-minister. These were the days of the DOS operating system, and we had to physically type in the commands for the computer to follow. It had been explained that we could provide the computer with a number of words/statements, and it would be able to put them together in a sentence. I watched with something akin to horror as my colleague typed in three words – “Ainslie”, “is”, and “God”. He then pressed the appropriate button on the keyboard that should have provided the (to me, blasphemous) sentence he sought. And nothing happened!!

My colleague kept trying, but the computer refused to obey his command. “That computer, Ainslie,” I remember saying, “has more theological acumen than you have!” Later on, as I learned a bit more about computers, I worked out what Ainslie had been doing wrong (!) – but I hope that he learned an important lesson.

Owen Cole may well be a humble, God-fearing, man; and he cannot be held responsible for the claims that a team supporter makes about him. But he is certainly not God. He is, like the rest of us, a sinner who needs to be saved, by the grace of the only true God – the Creator and Sustainer of all that is; the One Who is holiness, power, wisdom, love, and much else besides.

Writing to the followers of the Lord Jesus in 1st century Ephesus, Paul has this to say: “We are all one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious future. There is only one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and there is only one God and Father, who is over us all and in us all and living through us all.” (4:5-7)

May all who visit this blog, likewise, be followers/disciples of that same Lord Jesus – God the Son Who, alone, is the Way to the Father, and Who has revealed the Father to us. (see Jn.14:8ff)

1 comment:

CannuckCol said...

Obviously a LOT of people don't know the words of Exodus 20 verses 2 & 3 "I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3Thou shalt have no other gods before me."